Australia Family Visa

Spouse Visa Australia

  • Spouse visa Australia is for those who have been married to an Australian citizen or are a permanent resident of Australia or are an eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • You can also obtain spouse visa Australia if you have been in a defacto relationship (common law) with one for at least 12 months.
  • You can be sponsored by your spouse for a duration of two years and if this relationship is genuine then you may be eligible to apply for a permanent residence visa.

Eligibility Criteria for spouse visa Australia

  • You and your spouse have vowed to share a life and whether you are legally married, to the exclusion of all others.
  • Your relationship must be a genuine and continuing one
  • You and your spouse must live together or must not live apart on a permanent basis.
  • You must have been in a spouse relationship for the past 12 months and must show that you have lived together for 12 months.
  • You both need to be aged over 18.
  • You must qualify health and character criteria.

How to apply for spouse visa Australia

  • You can either be in Australia or overseas while applying for the spouse visa.
  • You can apply for spouse visa Australia either online or by paper
  • Once you have received an initial application you will be issued with an Extended Eligibility Temporary Visa
  • This temporary visa allows you to stay in Australia for 2 years and have the full work rights during this period.
  • Once the period of 2 years is over you can apply for permanent visa status provided your relationship is genuine and continuing.

Documents required for spouse visa Australia

There are three major types of required documents for spouse visa, which are:

  • identity documents
  • good character documents
  • supporting documents.

Other Essential Information

You can apply for permanent residence even if the relationship has broken, under specific conditions which are:

  • If your spouse has expired during this period.
  • If your Australian spouse and you have children under 18 years of age.
  • If your depends or you have been encountered with domestic violence during this period.