Australia – FAQ

Australia - FAQ's

The purpose of a visitor visa is to holiday and visit family. It is not intended to enable the lodging of an application for a permanent visa whilst in Australia. Consequently, visitor and other temporary visas may be granted with a ‘no further stay’ condition. A ‘no further stay’ condition is applied to all Sponsored Family Visitor Visas. If your current visa was granted with a ‘no further stay’ condition you will not be able to apply for or be granted any further visitor visa while you remain in Australia unless you meet very limited and specific criteria which allow the ‘no further stay’ condition to be waived.

The service standards published on the website are a general guide to processing times. Actual processing times will vary due to a variety of factors, such as the nature and complexity of the case and the size and composition of the migration program. Every year the Australian Government sets the overall migration program as part of the Budget process. For the 2014–15 program year, 47 825 program places have been allocated to the partner visa program, an increase of 300 places over the 2013-14 program year. The department processes partner visas in the order they are received and with consideration to the program places announced by the government.

Applications are processed in the order they are received and there is little scope to process applications earlier. If you feel you have compelling or compassionate reasons why your application should be processed earlier, please provide a written statement to your case officer outlining those circumstances. It should be noted that as a general policy, circumstances such as employment in Australia; schooling for children; pregnancy; selling your house; or separation from your partner is not considered compelling or compassionate.

You should provide certified copies of the usual documents of identity that are required in your country of birth (or residence, where relevant), which must be translated into English if they are not in English already.If available in your country, you may also provide multilingual or international civil status records, (for example birth, marriage, death certificates) providing English is one of the languages on the record.Some European countries will also provide an extract of the population register instead of a birth certificate, and this is acceptable if it includes details of your parents, and is translated into English or into English. You should include certified copies of your bio data page of passport or travel document. Please ensure the copies are high-quality color copies.

Yes, partner visa’s allow the holder to work in Australia.

No, you must be outside of Australia to lodge a prospective Marriage visa.

Yes, they can apply, however there is no guarantee their application will be approved.

To be granted a de facto partner visa you need to have live with your partner for a minimum 12 Months.

There is no English test requirement for any of the partner categories, anyway you have to prove that you have good understanding and strong relationship of each other.

No, you must be outside of Australia to lodge  a  prospective marriage visa.

Yes, Partner visa’s  allow the holder to work in Australia.

  • The Partner (Provisional) visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa. You lodge only one application for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.
  • The process is slightly different if you apply for prospective marriage (fiancé) visa initially. This adds an extra step in the provisional visa process.
  • National Visas treats the provisional and permanent stages as separate Premier services.

Normally yes you can. But different visas to Australia have different requirements and one answer does not apply to all situations.

The requirements and restrictions on Australian visas differ depending on the visa for which you are applying. So do the costs. You should discuss your individual situation with one of our experienced professionals.