Dependent Visa for Canada

The Government of Canada is committed to keeping families together. The Dependent Visa for Canada through the Family Class Scheme enables Canadian citizens and permanent residents of 18 years and older to sponsor their dependent children, parents, grandparents, spouse, common-law, and conjugal partners.

In order to sponsor a person through Dependent Visa for Canada, a sponsor needs to provide documents showing his/her finances from the past 12 months to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) so they can determine if the sponsor is able to financially support the members he/she is sponsoring.

Dependent Visa for Canada: Sponsorship Eligibility

Members of the family class can be sponsored for a Dependent Visa for Canada if they are:

  • Dependent children under 22 years of age, who do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
  • In order to be eligible under Dependent Visa for Canada, the dependent child must be the biological child of the parent or the adopted child of the parent.
  • The dependent child must prove to be financially dependent on the parent.
  • The dependent child is unable to financially support him/herself due to a physical or mental condition.
  • Children aged 22 and older who have depended substantially on the financial support of their parent(s) since before the age of 22 years, and who are unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition, may also be considered dependent under Dependent Visa for Canada.
  • You will need to provide proof of your relationship to your dependent children.
  • In order to be eligible for Dependent Visa for Canada, children being sponsored will need to undergo a criminal and medical examination. Dependent children who have a criminal record or a contagious medical condition may be prevented from entering Canada.
  • The medical examination must be done by a physician who is approved by the Canadian government.

Through Dependent Visa for Canada, you can sponsor:

  • A child you adopted outside of Canada while you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada.
  • A child you intend to adopt in Canada.
  • Your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if they are an orphan, under 18 years of age and do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
  • Any person who you have a family relationship with if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.
  • Your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
  • Your parents or grandparents.

Important Information on Dependent Visa for Canada

As of October 24, 2017 according to IRCC, principal applicants may include their children aged 21 and under, who are not married or in a common-law relationship, on their immigration application.

CanApprove Immigration Services provides a wide range of legal services internationally, including immigration, education and legal consultation.

By delivering comprehensive and up-to-date immigration advice and services to individuals, families and SME business owners worldwide, our Immigration Services are designed to equip our clients with thorough information enabling them to make informed decisions. We at CanApprove aim to make the complex process of preparing financial papers, authenticating documents, filling applications, obtaining visas, and acquiring work and residence permits as simple, quick and easy as possible for our clients.

For the last 19 years, our teams of qualified consultants, skilled advisors and highly trained instructors have been consistent in delivering reliable immigration and education services. At CanApprove, our mission is to guarantee our clients a hassle-free experience by being there to answer questions and provide solutions every step of the way.

For more information on Dependent Visa for Canada, please contact us.