Canada Family and Spouse Visa FAQ

Canada Family and Spouse Visa FAQ

Canada Family and Spouse Visa FAQs

The first thing would be to check if you are eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or children. In case you live in Quebec, you must meet Quebec’s requirements to be a sponsor. The sponsor is required to

  • Send a letter of invitation to the family member(s) they want to sponsor.
  • Demonstrate their ability to financially support the family members being sponsored during their initial stay period (varies between 3 – 10 years).
  • Sign an agreement that confirms that they understand their mutual obligations and responsibilities.
  • Sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic needs of the family members they are sponsoring.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents of at least 18 years of age are entitled to sponsor the following family members:

  • Spouse, Common-law partner, Conjugal partner
  • Dependent children
  • Parents
  • Brothers and sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren
  • Other relatives (i.e., an orphaned niece or nephew)

These family members can be sponsored under the following categories (each category has its own set of requirements) depending on their eligibility:

Members of the family class can be sponsored for a dependent visa if they are:

  • Dependent children under 19 years of age, who do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
    • The dependent child must be the biological child of the parent or the adopted child of the parent.
    • The dependent child must prove to be financially dependent on the parent.
    • The dependent child is unable to financially support him/herself due to a physical or mental condition.
    • Children aged 22 and older who have depended substantially on the financial support of their parent(s) since before the age of 22 years, and who are unable to be financially self-supporting due to a physical or mental condition, may also be considered dependent.
    • You will need to provide proof of your relationship to your dependent children.
    • The children being sponsored will need to undergo a criminal and medical examination. Dependent children who have a criminal record or a contagious medical condition may be prevented from entering Canada.
    • The medical examination must go through a physician who is approved by the Canadian government.
  • A child you adopted outside of Canada while you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada.
  • A child you intend to adopt in Canada.
  • Your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if they are an orphan, under 18 years of age and do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
  • Any person who you have a family relationship with if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor.
  • Your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner.
  • Your parents or grandparents.

A Common-Law Partner is a person of the opposite or same sex who you have lived with in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year. You must have lived together for 12 months continuously, with exceptions of short trips for business or family reasons. You must also provide proof that you have set up a household together.

List of items that you can use as proof of a Common-law relationship:

  • A statutory declaration of a common-law relationship
  • Statements for shared bank accounts
  • Proof of shared ownership of residential property
  • Proof of shared management of household expenses
  • Evidence of shared purchases(especially of household items)
  • Joint residential leases
  • Shared rental receipts
  • Mail Addressed to either or both of you at the same address
  • Shared Creditcard
  • Bills for shared utility accounts, such as
    • electricity
    • gas
    • telephone
  • Important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as
    • Identification Documents
    • Insurance policies
    • Driving license
  • Any other document(s) that show you have been living together

Note: You do not need to include all of the above-mentioned items to prove your relationship is real. The Citizenship and Immigration Canada(CIC) may consider other proof as well, like photos, telephone bills and letters.