There are numerous Scholarships and bursaries offered to International students in Canadian Universities and Colleges. They are generally allocated to students with outstanding academic achievements. The amount and type of award vary from one institution to another. Scholarship funding for international students who wish to study in Canada is limited, highly competitive, and primarily available at the postgraduate level. Canada’s top eight universities – McMaster University, Simon Fraser University, The University of British Columbia, University of Ottawa, University of Toronto, University of Victoria, University of Waterloo and The University of Western Ontario offers numerous scholarships for Bachelors Masters and Research programs. While deciding to study in Canada, students should know chances for applying for scholarships offered by various government agencies and Universities. Scholarships are more offered for Research and Masters Degree in Canada. Colleges like Humber and Niagara offers renewable full and partial tuition scholarships to international students for the course start in September and January of each year. Apart from the Scholarship awarded to newly enrolled students, there are also Graduate Fellowships in Universities in Canada which are merit-based awards that are open to students of any nationality who will be registered as full-time graduate students.
For detailed information on scholarship opportunities, students should check with the university/College they have decided for further higher studies. Scholarship funding for international students is limited, highly competitive, and primarily available at the postgraduate level and a limited number scholarships for undergraduate programs.
Here are few of the scholarships available for undergraduate students.
1. Centennial College offers International Student Academic Performance Scholarship and it is awarded to an international student based on merit who have successfully completed two consecutive semesters.
2. George Brown College offers entrance Scholarship and the award is available to students in any program in their first year of study. The Scholarship is awarded as a second-semester tuition fee credit for the international students newly enrolled in a full-time post-secondary program (diploma or degree). Students should have excellent academic criteria in order to apply to this scholarship program.
3. Niagara College International Student Awards are offered to students who are the top academic level. There is no separate application for this scholarship and are awarded based on academic performance and an active co-curricular record. Niagara College SAC International Award is for full-time international students studying any NC Post-Secondary Program. Selection is based on academic performance and essay submission.
4. Humber offers International students entrance scholarships where the applications will be considered based on academics, community involvement, referee/reference letters and statement of interest.
5. FDU Academic Scholarships are awarded at the time of admission only. Scholarships may be used for the fall and spring semesters for full-time students only.
6. The University of York offers a number of entrance scholarships, awards, and bursaries which are available to international undergraduate applicants at the university. To be eligible for International Entrance Scholarships students should have a highest academic average, demonstrated leadership skill, and Letters of recommendation.
Graduate Scholarships & Awards
1. Humber College offers International students entrance scholarship to full-time students entering a postgraduate program for the first time. Entrance scholarships will be awarded by decision of Humber’s Scholarship Committee. Another scholarship presented by Humber is Students federation entrance scholarship which is being awarded to a full-time student enrolling in a program for the first time and exhibiting high academic standards (minimum 80 per cent grade point average), as selected by the scholarship committee.
2. Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program provides short-term exchange opportunities for candidates from Commonwealth countries for study or research in Canada at the masters or doctoral level. The program is open to all disciplines including interdisciplinary programs.
3. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies. Applicants must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by the university, in each of the last two years of full-time study. Apart from this general criterion, there are other prerequisites to be considered while applying. Students should contact the respective scholarship desk in their university for more information.
4. FDU Academic Scholarships are awarded at the time of admission only. Scholarships may be used for the fall and spring semesters for full-time students only.
The university of Calgary, University of Manitoba, University of Waterloo, University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan offers scholarship and awards for postgraduate students.
For more details students can go through the link here