Family and Spouse Visa FAQ

If you are in Australia on a visitor visa, you are not intended to apply for a partner visa. The visitor visa is only a temporary visa. You are not allowed to do anything other than that inside Australia. The visitor visa is usually with a ‘no further stay’ condition. You are entitled to apply any other visa while you are in Australia under a visitor visa, if the ‘no further stay’ condition is waived under specific conditions.

The processing times of partner applications will vary depending on the type of the complexity of the program. Each program has separate criteria and processing time. The Australian government will arrange the migration system based on its budget every year. The migration department usually processes the partner applications as per the government’s norms and rules laid by the government for the particular period.

Usually the applications are processed in the order that they are received in. If you have a convincing reason on why your application needs to be processed soon, you need to provide a written statement to the suitable authority stating your conditions.

You should provide your birth certificate or an authorized certificate which states your birth date. For marital status, you should provide your marriage certificate. You can also provide a high quality color copies of the certified copies of your bio data page of your passport. Please note that all the documents you provide should be in English or translated to English.

Yes, partner visa’s allow the holder to work in Australia.

No, you must be outside of Australia to lodge a prospective Marriage visa.

Yes, they can apply, however there is no guarantee their application will be approved.

To be granted a de facto partner visa you need to have live with your partner for a minimum 12 Months.

There is no English test requirement for any of the partner categories, anyway you have to prove that you have good understanding and strong relationship of each other.

  • The Partner (Provisional) visa is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa. You lodge only one application for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.
  • The process is slightly different if you apply for prospective marriage (fiancé) visa initially. This adds an extra step in the provisional visa process.
  • National Visas treats the provisional and permanent stages as separate Premier services.

Normally yes you can. But different visas to Australia have different requirements and one answer does not apply to all situations. The requirements and restrictions on Australian visas differ depending on the visa for which you are applying. So do the costs. You should discuss your individual situation with one of our experienced professionals.