British Columbia Skills Immigration stream
The Skills Immigration stream of British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) comprises a number of categories and each of these categories has a unique set of requirements. The categories under the Skills Immigration stream are:
- Skilled Worker
- Healthcare Professional
- International Graduate
- International Postgraduate
- Entry Level and Semi-skilled
Candidates under the Skilled Worker, Healthcare Professional, International Graduate and Post-graduate categories with an active Express Entry profile may also have their application processed under the Express Entry British Columbia stream. The candidates under both Skills Immigration and Express Entry BC categories may also be eligible for immigration under the BC PNP Tech Pilot. But for that, the candidate must have an eligible job offer in one of the 29 eligible occupations for BC PNP Tech Pilot.
British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: Requirements
Candidates applying under a particular category of the British Columbia Skills Immigration stream must meet the specific requirements of that category. They must also meet certain general requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream. These are:
- An indeterminate, full-time job offer in an eligible occupation at a wage rate as per industry standards and similar to the rate offered by other employers for the same position. This condition is not applicable for candidates belonging to the Skills Immigration: International Post-Graduate category and those who have registered for BC PNP Tech Pilot
- The candidate must be qualified for the job position offered to him/her. The qualification will be assessed on the basis of National Occupational Classification (NOC), Work BC or industry standards
- Candidates with occupations categorized under NOC level O or A may not require language test results
- For all occupations classified under NOC level B, C or D, candidate might need minimum language ability in English/French equal to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4
- The candidate must be able to contribute toward the growth of the economy of British Columbia through their employment
- Candidate is prohibited from entering Canada
- Currently residing in Canada but is out of status
- Currently working in Canada without authorization
- Have an unresolved refugee claim in Canada
- The candidate is under a removal order in or outside Canada
Requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: Skilled Worker category
- An indeterminate, full-time job offer from an eligible BC employer (This is not applicable for BC PNP Tech Pilot candidates). The job offer must be in an occupation classified under NOC level 0, A, or B
- At least two years of full-time work experience or equivalent part-time work experience in the skilled occupation for which they have received the job offer
- The candidate must also demonstrate credentials and qualification for that particular position, if required.
- Meet the language requirements for their classified occupation
- Meet the minimum income requirements.
The British Columbia employer who has given the candidate a job offer must also meet the minimum requirements for employers.
Requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: Healthcare Professional category
In order to be eligible under the Healthcare Professional category of British Columbia Skills Immigration, the candidate must have received an indeterminate, full-time job offer from an eligible British Columbia public health authority. The job offer must be of one of the following occupations:
- Registered nurse
- Registered psychiatric nurse
- Nurse practitioner
Or one of the applied health professional occupations such as:
- Diagnostic medical sonographer
- Clinical pharmacist
- Medical laboratory technologist
- Medical radiation technologist
- Occupational therapist; or
- At least two years of full-time or equivalent work experience in the skilled occupation offered to them
- Meet the credentials and qualification requirements for the position (If applicable)
- Meet the minimum language requirements for their classified occupation
- Meet minimum income requirements
- If the applicant is a midwife, they must have registered with the College of Midwives of British Columbia. The applicant must also submit a letter from an established practice group in British Columbia confirming their acceptance into the group for a period of at least six months.
Requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: International Graduate Category
International students who have graduated from a Canadian university or college can apply for provincial nomination from British Columbia under the International Graduate category of BC PNP. Though work experience is not mandatory, candidates must have obtained a job offer from a British Columbia employer.
- The minimum requirements for the candidates are:
- An indeterminate, full-time job offer in an occupation classified under NOC level 0, A, or B from an eligible British Columbia employer
- A degree, diploma or certificate obtained from an eligible post-secondary institution in Canada. The candidate must have obtained the qualification within three years before submitting the application
- The applicant must meet all the credential and qualification requirements for the position
- The candidate must demonstrate the financial capacity to settle in Canada and support their family
- Meet the language requirements for their particular occupation
Requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: International Post-graduate category
Candidates who have obtained a master’s or doctoral degree in the natural, applied or health sciences from a British Columbia institution can apply for provincial nomination under this category. The candidate must have obtained the degree within three years before submitting the application in one of the following fields:
- Agriculture, agriculture operations and related sciences
- Biological and biomedical sciences
- Computer and information sciences and support services
- Engineering technology and engineering-related fields
- Health professions and related programs
- Mathematics and statistics
- Natural resources conservation
- Physical sciences
The candidates must also prove with acceptable evidence that they are planning to reside in British Columbia permanently.
Requirements for British Columbia Skilled Immigration Stream: Entry Level and Semi-skilled Worker category
Individuals currently living in British Columbia and engaged in an eligible occupation within the tourism/hospitality, long-haul trucking, or food processing industries, or in an NOC skill level C or D occupation in the Northeast Development Region can apply for provincial nomination under this category.
- -A full-time, indeterminate job offer from a British Columbia employer in an eligible occupation
- Have been employed for at least nine consecutive months before submitting the application, with the same B.C. employer supporting the application. It must be an full-time employment in an ELSS occupation
- The candidate must be engaged in the full-time job throughout the application process
- Meet the minimum income requirements
- Must have completed secondary education and have all the required licensing or certification
- Must demonstrate English language proficiency equal to at least Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 in all the four abilities (listening, speaking, reading, writing).
Choosing the right immigration pathway is crucial in determining the success of your Canada immigration application. Confused about which immigration pathway is the best for you? Our expert immigration consultants are here to help you! Contact us for more details