The Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) targets foreign workers with a job offer in specific in-demand occupations and invites them to apply for provincial nomination. Foreign workers, both living inside Canada and outside, can apply for provincial nomination under this stream. If the application is successful and the candidate receives provincial nomination, they can apply for permanent residence in Canada with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
However, in order to be eligible to apply for provincial nomination from Ontario under this stream, the candidate must meet three types of requirements. They are:
- Job offer requirements
- Applicant requirements
- Employer requirements
Job offer requirements
In order to be eligible under the Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream, it is mandatory for the candidate to have a job offer from an Ontario employer. The job offer must meet the following requirements:
- The job offer must be for a full-time permanent position
- The job offer must be for an occupation classified under National Occupation Classification (NOC) Skill Level C or D. The eligible occupations are as follows:
- NOC 3413 – nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- NOC 4412 – home support workers and related occupations, excluding housekeepers
- NOC 7441 – residential and commercial installers and servicers
- NOC 7511 – transport truck drivers
- NOC 7521 – heavy equipment operators (except crane)
- NOC 7611 – construction trades helpers and labourers
- NOC 8431 – general farm workers
- NOC 8432 – nursery and greenhouse workers
- NOC 8611 – harvesting labourers
- NOC 9462 – industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers
- The salary offered for the job must be equal to or higher than the median wage level for that occupation, in that specific region of Ontario where the candidate will be working. If the candidate is already working in that position, the wage offered must be equal to or greater than the current wage level.
- The position offered to the candidate must be necessary for the operation of the employer’s business and to maintain or grow the employer’s business activity. The job role must align with the business activities of the employer.
To qualify under the OINP Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream, the candidate must meet seven criteria. These are:
- The candidate must have at least nine months of full-time work experience or equivalent part-time work experience in Ontario. The work experience must be in the same in-demand occupation as mentioned in the job offer. The candidate must have acquired the work experience within three years prior to submitting the application. The work experience must also have been acquired while legally residing in Canada.
- Some jobs need licence or other authorization for the candidate to practice it in Canada. If your job needs one, you must be having the same at the time of application.
- The candidate must have proficiency in English or French, the official languages of Canada at a level equal to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 or higher in all the four abilities–reading, writing, speaking and listening. The language proficiency can be demonstrated with the results of an approved language test. The test must have been taken within two years prior to submitting the application.
The accepted English language tests are:
- International English Language Testing (IELTS)- General Training test
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) -General test
The accepted French language tests are:
- Test d’évaluation de français pour le Canada (TEF Canada)
- Test de connaissance du français pour le Canada (TCF Canada)
- The candidate must have minimum level of education equal to Canadian secondary school(high school) diploma or equivalent. If the candidate has acquired the educational qualification from outside Canada, they must submit Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to prove that their education qualification is equal to a Canadian high school diploma.
- The candidate must prove that they have enough funds to settle in Canada. This can be demonstrated with the annual salary of the candidate’s job offer. If it is insufficient, they can submit any one of the following or a combination of both to demonstrate sufficient funds:
- Bank statements
- Statements of accounts showing other investments such as fixed deposits or mutual funds
7. The candidate must also demonstrate their intention to settle in Ontario, once they are granted permanent residence. The OINP officials determine a candidate’s intent to live in Ontario by examining previous ties to the province in the form of:
- Work experience or current employment in Ontario
- A job offer from an Ontario employer
- Applying or interviewing for jobs in Ontario
- Previous study experience or currently studying in Ontario
- Volunteering in the province
- Leasing or owning property in Ontario
- Visiting the province
- Having professional networks and affiliations, family ties and personal relationships in Ontario
8. The candidate must be legally residing in Canada at the time of application, if they are applying from inside Canada. The legal status can be demonstrated with a visitor record, study permit or work permit. The candidate must also maintain the legal status till they receive nomination.
- To be eligible under the In-Demand Skills Stream, the employer’s business must have been active for at least three years prior to the date of submitting the application. The employer must have business premises in Ontario, where the candidate will be working. The employer must also comply with all the provincial labour laws, especially those regarding employment standards, health and safety, and labour relations.
- The employer must demonstrate that they had made sufficient efforts to recruit a Canadian citizen or permanent resident before offering the position to a foreign worker.
- If the location of the job offered is in Greater Toronto Area, the minimum gross annual revenue from the business must be $1,000,000 in total. If the location is outside Greater Toronto Area, the minimum total gross annual revenue must be $500,000.
Provincial Nominee Programs open up vast opportunities for qualified immigrants to start a new life in Canada. Choose the right immigration pathway for you with the help of experienced immigration lawyers and consultants to ensure maximum success for your immigration application. Contact us for more information