- New Zealand provides monetary benefits and recognition to top students.
- New Zealand scholarships are provided to the students based on several factors like area of study, academic merit, community service or involvement, ethnicity, financial hardship, the industry or trade, leadership, the region you grew up in, or where you plan to study.
- The assessment for New Zealand scholarship is either by written/spoken exam or by submission of a portfolio or report of work produced throughout a year.
- Students who wish to attain scholarships must demonstrate high-level critical thinking, abstraction and generalization, and to integrate, synthesize and apply knowledge, skills, understanding and ideas.
Eligibility criteria for New Zealand scholarships
- must be enrolled into an accredited New Zealand school/university/college.
- must have paid the necessary tuition within the deadline.
How to apply for New Zealand scholarships
- Ascertain your eligibility via online eligibility checklist
- Create a RealMe login for online application of New Zealand scholarships
- Register with New Zealand scholarships online
- Complete your application.
Types of New Zealand scholarships
- There are several scholarships available for international students wishing to study in New Zealand universities. Scholarships help students to reduce their tuition costs and to offset their living expenses.
- New Zealand Aid Programme funds New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships and managed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
- The selection process in New Zealand is managed by Universities New Zealand. Scholarships are available for postgraduate qualifications Masters and Ph.D.
University of Auckland International Postgraduate Student Scholarships
- Offers 10 scholarships of up to NZ$10,000 to study any taught master’s degree at the University of Auckland.
The University of Otago International Master’s Award
- Provides funding to support international students undertaking a thesis-based Master’s Degree
- Includes NZ$13,000 stipend per annum and international tuition fees waiver.
The University of Waikato
- Offers scholarships such as the International Excellence Scholarship, which is based on academic merit and available for students of all study levels.
The University of Victoria
- Offers Masters Scholarships to students about to begin a full-time, research-focused Master’s degree.
- Awarded based on academic merit.
The University of Victoria International Student Achievement Scholarship
- Available to international students who are currently studying an undergraduate degree at the Victoria University of Wellington.
- Awarded based on academic merit.
The University of Waikato offers High Achievement Scholarship
- For international students who first enroll in an undergraduate degree
- Scholarship will have a value of 15% of the international enrolment fees.
The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship
- Offered to international students who are enrolling into the foundation, undergraduate, or postgraduate programmes.
- Has a value up to $5,000 and is applied directly to the recipient’s tuition fees at the beginning of their University of Waikato studies.
Southern Institute of Technology
- High achieving students in sports or academics are awarded up to 25 full and partial John Wright Scholarships
- Provide a partial or full contribution towards the tuition fee component of a student’s programme.
Other Essential Information
- Students are allocated with a score between 0-8 for each component in New scholarship assessment using subject specific rules.
- Works of highest scorers are reviewed by marking panels to identify the top candidates in each subject.