Switzerland is one of the best places to live on earth because of the high quality of life it offers. The factors that make the country attractive include diverse study options, low unemployment rate, quality healthcare and scenic beauty. Currently, more than 50,000 international students study in Switzerland, which is about 20 per cent of the total student population of the country. Why is Switzerland the best place to study? Here are the reasons:
International students can benefit from a number of scholarships to study in Switzerland. There are two types of scholarships, government scholarships and university scholarships.
Government scholarships to study in Switzerland
Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists:
These scholarships give postgraduate funding to scholars and researchers in publicly funded Swiss universities, federal institutes of technology, applied sciences institutions and schools of music and fine arts. The scholarships are made available through Swiss Government’s Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships:
These scholarships are offered by the European Union and aim to strengthen cooperation between Europe and third world countries in the education sector for promoting highly trained human resources. The students who win these scholarships can participate in Erasmus Mundus study programs.
University scholarships to study in Switzerland
ETH Excellence Scholarships:
The Master’s students of ETH Zurich can apply for Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP) and Master Scholarship Program (MSP). ESOP scholarship covers full study and living costs while MSP scholarship provides a partial stipend and assistantship.
UNIL Master’s Grants:
Ten annual Master’s grants are awarded to international students in most fields.
EPFL Excellence Fellowships:
These Fellowships are offered to Master’s level students by the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
Graduate Institute Scholarships:
Geneva’s Graduate Institute offers a number of scholarships to Master’s and PhD students to study in Switzerland.
IMD MBA Scholarships:
These scholarships are offered by IMD, a top-ranked business school.
University of Geneva Excellence Master Fellowships:
The scholarship was instituted by the Faculty of Science of the University of Geneva to Master of Science.
- Switzerland has some of the world’s best-ranked academic institutions. They include Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, the University of Geneva and the University of Zurich.
- Students from various countries study in Switzerland, which helps to develop an international perspective among students.
- Though English is not an official language of Switzerland, most of the local people can understand and even speak English. Some institutions also offer courses in English. Most of the undergraduate programs are taught in German, French and Italian. But there are a number of Master’s courses taught in English.
- Switzerland has four official languages- French, German, Italian and Romansh. It means students are exposed to a multi-lingual society and it can help them in their future career.
- Tuition fees to study in Switzerland are comparatively more affordable for international students.
- Students can study in Switzerland a wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- Switzerland is the haven of winter sports enthusiasts. If you are a lover of winter sports, like skiing and snowboarding, Switzerland is an ideal place for you. Students can also have an inexpensive year-long ski pass.
- Though Switzerland is not part of the European Union, it is an ideal place from where one can explore Europe. The central location of the country makes easy and less expensive to travel to different places in Europe without needing a visa.
- Switzerland has one of the highest average salaries in the entire Europe. Though it is difficult for a non-EU student to stay here after the studies, if you are the best candidate, a Swiss company can help you to apply for visa.
- If you are a food lover, Switzerland is the best place for you. Switzerland is a global centre of dairy business and while in Switzerland you get to taste the world-renowned Swiss chocolates and Swiss cheese.