Australian Skilled Migration Point System and Basic Requirements
Australia Skilled Immigration Program & Australia Immigration Point System – Overview
- People who wish to migrate to Australia under the Australia Skilled Immigration visas must qualify certain criteria which are determined by the Australia Immigration Point System.
- One must score the required minimum of 60 points to achieve visa under the General skilled migration program.
- The point system awards you score based on criteria ranging from age to work experience. Below are the detailed breakdown of points allotment and the requirements of each criteria.
Requirements for Australia Skilled Immigration Program
- To be able to apply for general skilled migration system, applicants must nominate an occupation from the skilled occupation list.
- There are certain visa subclasses and points an applicant must score which are as follows:
- Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) – 60 points
- Skilled – Sponsored (subclass 190) – 60 points
- Skilled – Regional Sponsored (subclass 489) – 60 points
- Applicants can score points according to the age group they fall in, with those aged between 25-32 gaining the most points. However, an applicant over 45 years gains no points.
English Language Requirements
- All SkillSelect applicants must take up IELTS to claim points for Superior or Proficient English language skills.
- Those who are native English speakers or who have been awarded a tertiary degree from a university equivalent to Australian university standards are not required to take up the IELTS.
|Superior (IELTS 8 or more)||20 points|
|Proficient (IELTS 7 or more)||10 points|
|Competent (IELTS 6 or more)||0 points|
- Candidates can claim points for their work experience in a skilled occupation, provided the experience must be in an occupation included in the Skilled occupation list provided by the Government of Australia.
- Separate points are awarded for work experience gained in Australia and elsewhere
|1 year||5 points|
|3 years||10 points|
|5 years||15 points|
|8 years||20 points|
Skilled employment points distribution for within Australia
|3 years||5 points|
|5 years||10 points|
|8 years||15 points|
Skilled employment points distribution for Outside Australia
- Applicants are offered points for their educational qualifications. However, points are awarded only for the candidate’s highest qualification only.
- To claim the points under this category, you must hold a degree which is recognized by the Australian government and are comparable to Australian qualification. Also, the degree you hold must be related to applicants nominated occupation.
- Applicants who have an Australian qualification from an Australian educational institution are awarded 5 points for their qualification.
|Bachelor’s or Master’s||15 points|
|Australian Diploma or Trade qualification||10 points|
|Award or qualification recognized by assessing authority||10 points|
- Additional points are awarded for various other categories. They are as follows:
- Regional Study- 5 points if applicants meet the 2-year study requirement while studying and living in Australia.
- Community Language skills- 5 points are awarded to the applicants if they have language skills as of a translator interpreter one of Australian community languages.
- Spouse/Partner skills and qualification- 5 points are awarded for the spouse’s skills and qualification who is included in the visa application, provided he/she is not an Australian resident/citizen of Australia.
- Professional Degree- 5 points are awarded to the applicants if they have completed a 4-year professional degree course in Australia, provided it is approved by the Australian Government
- Nomination and sponsorship (Subclass 190 and Subclass 489 only)- Applicants under this visa sub classes can be awarded up to 10 points